Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Coachella Tales...Day 1 ish

I survived the weekend...here are my notes.


Thursday April 28, 2007

7:00 pm Second? Haircut of the day.

9:15 pm Pick up new VA friend Patu at the airport (“I’m a tall white guy with ripped jeans”). Told you guys he wasn’t a creepy guy who was going to rape and kill Andrew and me.

9:55 pm Henry’s is closing, and we’re checking prices on granola. Feel like I’m at home.

10:45 pm Shower and listen to Doves while Patu repacks in the kitchen.

11:43 pm Pack up car at Andrew’s. He is prepared with a carton of Marlboro lights and a case of B-minus.


Friday April 27, 2007

1:00 am Get on the road, eat some of my Western Longhorn cheese. It’s tasty business.

2:45 am Eyes unfocusing…boys both asleep…ooh Arcade Fire. I’m awake.

3:45 am Leave Patu in car sans camping pass, set up tent in record time. Dudes (what Rage fans will be called from here on out) arrive in striped polos and backwards college hats. They don’t get their tent set up until after I go to bed. (“I throw beer cans at the chicks. They like that.”)


4:39 am Everyone starts cheering for no reason. Determined that if scenesters take off their tight jeans and pointy boots they melt into a puddle of hipness, thus our neighbors are still in said clothes.

8:00 am Find Patu at car and decide to go for a run (Andrew: “That is absurd”).

10:30 am Token Goth sighting we have been waiting for: Man in knee high platform boots and a black pleather skirt.




1:49 pm Make first and only use of 10-for-1 recycling deal.

2:04 pm Comedians of Comedy in the Gobi tent. Patton Oswalt asks us all to sit down because he knows that hipsters have weak knees. Aziz Ansari mentions being lonely enough to google blogs that mention him and ponder e-mailing the girls who mention him as a celebrity crush...Well Aziz, look no further. Your Bonnaroo bit sealed the deal here. Zack Galifinakis strips to a red Annie dress and lip syncs to “Tomorrow” while displaying signs like “I would start a revolution, but I just bought a hammock.”



4:27 pm Tilly’s sound man has good taste…plays “We Share Our Mother’s Health” by the Knife

4:33 pm Tilly and the Wall + sequins + colored lights = Candyland of music. A high school girl in front of me is wearing hot pants and Napoleon Dynamite space boots.








6:40 pm The lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys looks like a hobbit. Moving on up…look it’s Stefanie. She is standing right next to us among the thousands of other people.




7:17 pm Drunk, overweight super fans flash stage.

8:20 pm Jesus and Mary Chain play a new song. I believe they stole the melody from Wilco’s “Spider Kicksmoke.” ScarJo comes out for “Just like honey.”

9:25 pm Up front waiting for Interpol…Fat smelly woman and blonde dude in Brooks Brothers shirt grind in front of me.

9:55 pm Andrew determines that Carlos D is in fact God with a bolo tie, a moustache, and a bass. Interpol plays “Mammoth” from new album.

10:20 pm Sonic Youth is still playing. Ooh, look at that nice patch of grass. I could almost lay down and rest my eyes. Just for a minute.

11:03 pm Up when the lights go down…I’m cold, but look, someone has left me a sweatshirt on the ground. Sweet. DJ Shadow entertains as do the dancing tripped-out kids with the glow sticks. Accessory award for the day goes to Dr. Scholl’s Gel Pads which fit nicely in my Chucks.

No comments: