Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Coachella Tales...Day 2




Saturday April 28, 2007
12:56 am Nothing like lukewarm beers at the car.

8:13 am Temperature in our tent actually exceeds that of Earth’s core.

10:00 am Breakfast burritos and raspberry (vodka) lemonades. How did we get in a bottle of vodka and not our peanut butter?

11:45 am Woken up from my sweaty nap in the tent by Andrew. (“Your car is what seems to be a quesadilla.”)

12:00 pm I am frisked by a very polite CSC worker, and in for the second day. Andrew and I decide to hang in the shade of the beer garden rather than roast in our tent.


1:45 pm Make beer garden friends like Gabriel, the Rage fan from Jersey with tiger striped pink and black hair.

3:10 pm Gary Glitter! Through the speakers…courtesy of Steve Aoki

3:15 pm Down tempo Bloc Party remix from Steve Aoki and DJ Heather. Orange Mohawk + beer gut + green tutu + rainbow umbrella = a man ready for techno in the Sahara tent.

4:03 pm Shower in my own sweat with Brit Fitz and Andrew while waiting for Hot Chip who made me further dehydrate myself due to their synth rhythms.



4:18 pm Meet someone who knows John from Shithole, NM…(he was at Wolf Parade near the speaker, Daft Punk, The Knife—except he was in SF)


5:49 pm Accessory award for the day goes to my bandana for working as a towel, blanket, and so much more.





7:05 The Decemberists (and here and here and here) are attacked by a whale onstage while playing “The Mariner’s Revenge.” Only Colin Meloy survives.

7:15 pm Chug my drink in the beer garden with Brit, Allie, and Andrew while looking for E and Rach.

7:45 pm Found Erin, Rach, Steve, and Chris. Arcade Fire, “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)”: Ok guys, move up on my signal.

9:15 pm “Seize the hole!” Barrel through the crowd blindly following Chris to get within spitting distance of Flea.

-:-- pm I lose my watch, potentially while men are simultaneously shoving, jumping, and kicking shins, but I feel ok about having my face smashed into someone’s back as long as I can see Anthony’s tasty new moustache. Concert Etiquette rule #93: Just because someone is short does not mean you can use them as a shelf.

Later The Good, the Bad, & the Queen take to the outdoor stage. I shower with a water bottle.

Even later Erin and I drive to Joshua tree, drink a bottle of pinotage and sleep on a cement picnic table.

No comments: