Saturday, February 17, 2007

Coachella 2006 Remembered...

What better way to prepare for this year's desert misadventure than to look back at last year's two day experiences? I could show you all my pictures from the shows and talk about how great the bands were, but I'd rather post Matt's memories. Matt (of the Coffey variety) flew out to San Diego to accompany me up to Indio and check out the scene.

Unfortunately, sometime during the Go! Team's set, Matt's camera mysteriously disappeared from his pocket. So he reconstructed his memories in sketches. And here they are (with his captions, so the I is Matt, not me...ok?):



"Being that my documentation of Coachella was lost, I’ve decided to re-enact the weekend through a most accurate comic strip."

"The heat was hot and so before going to the show I chose to hydrate with two gallons of water. I completed the foolhardy and near impossible task within ten minutes."


"Upon entrance I tossed some sunscreen to Christie, for I needed not the protection from the sun. My skin was already finely toned and shielded."


"One of the first acts I witnessed was Wolfmother. They’re a band from Australia, which I immediately connected with since every now and then I could pinpoint the continent in a children’s atlas."


"I was invited on stage to play the drums, and performed so well that I was kicked off. They didn’t want me to steal their foreign charm."


"After seeing a few more bands, Christie became tired and preferred to sit. With my insurmountable energy I chose to cartwheel towards the food emporium and consume three hearty meals."


"So with a semi-full stomach, we headed out to see the last of the bands, and were suddenly surprised with a surprise guest, who surprisingly turned out to be The Strokes. They came on stage through lightning bolts and invoked the power of joy into everyone; even those who just kind of liked them."


"After a three hour performance from The Strokes it was time to return from whence we came and get ready for the next day."


"The second day proved to be hotter, but with some rapidly paced shortcuts and unheard of speed, we managed to escape the hot San Diegan sun rays. Unfortunately our velocity allowed us to time travel one hour ahead into the future causing us to miss some shows."

"Although we did get to see Wolf Parade, during their prep work the sound crew suddenly grew stupid or impotent, and had troubles setting up everything. So I decided to pitch in with my knowledge-filled noggin, and chose to borrow/steal the sound system from Kanye West’s stage. Not many people missed it."


"Since the troubles with the prep work delayed the previous show I had missed out on a prime spot for Bloc Party. So instead of burrowing my way through a sweaty crowd, I scaled an immense sculpture for an old-fashioned captain viewing."


"As the performance grew to an end, I made a triumphant dive into the crowd, which erotically turned into crowd surfing."


"As successful as the day/night was, while heading back to the car I was stabbed by an attacker thrice times and lost my camera to the brigand."


"Under no sorts of pain I chased the bastard down with the help of Seu Jorge (Life Aquatic’s David Bowie singer)."


"We cornered him in a concealed corner and Seu Jorge unloaded with his guitar shotgun, blowing apart the muggers knees, but alas my camera had been caught in the crossfire."


"With no winning attempts at putting the camera together, I said screw it and safely drove back into town while napping, because I’m cool like that."


"The next day I helped Christie set up for the Common/Jurassic 5 show."

And there you have it folks. The validity of said statements has not been confirmed. Seu Jorge, Wolfmother, and the Strokes declined to comment.

1 comment:

L Simpson said...

holy crap! that is sooo funny. tell matt (of the coffey variety) that his drawings are wonderful (especially his attention to detail on eyebrows), but that you would *never* wear a skirt to a concert!

love ya!