Thursday, February 15, 2007

Oh it's just a half...

Last Sunday, my phone sang the theme from Chariots of Fire to me at 6:30. I turned off the alarm and crawled out of bed wondering how in the world I ever let Erin convince me to get up this early to pay $35 to run 13.1 miles. I donned my best rainy day running clothes, made my Apples and Cinnamon oatmeal, and took off for the Ranch to compete in my first ever half marathon.

Rancho Santa Fe (or "The Ranch" to any runner in the know) has been the site of some great Sunday morning long runs (Erin: "Wait, wait, wait. I saw a nickel back there I had to pick up.") and remains one of my favorite and least favorite loops of all time. Favorite--it's not out and back. Least favorite--hills and wood chips, murder on my ankles.

I parked, signed up, and met Erin and Brent to head down the hill to the start. Brent ran the 5k as an unwilling participant, but neverthless ended up 14th overall. Erin and I ran into a friend at the start, and he mentioned he was worried about us beating him. I told him not to be concerned because the longest run I had done since November was 9ish the Sunday prior.

Erin (coming off her 3:27 marathon a month before) asked what my goal was and I told her I wanted to finish, preferrably in under 2 hours. I knew the course would be hilly, and well, I freaking HATE hills. She said if we ran together and talked she was going to aim for 1:45ish which is 8:00 pace. I told her I wasn't sure, but if she dropped me it would be ok.

The gun went off, and we took off downhill on the partially out and back course. After the race I realized that you can tell exactly which miles were uphill, which were downhill, and which were flat just by looking at my mile splits. So here's a mile-by-mile rundown of my race (thoughts, quotes, memories, splits, etc.):

1: Take it out nice and easy....chatting with Erin about Divas matters (i.e. Valentines and boys)...7:07

2: Oh crap. We went out really fast, I'm going to hit the wall really early. "Beer on the right! Water on the left!" Oh hell no, this high school girl is not going to beat me in a half marathon...the woman dressed as Queen Elizabeth at the 5k turnaround...7:22

3: Turned and started to head straight uphill....Erin, where are you going? Are you leaving me? Already?...Dammit, still 10 miles...I hate myself for doing this...8:23

4: Back downhill...passing a bunch of middle aged dudes...targeting women in front of me...I just might be ok...7:29

5: This mile feels really long..."Have we passed the 5th mile marker yet?" me: "No" (look at watch, split reads 11:20) "Yeah I suppose we have...~7:40

6: Back uphill, first drink of water...meet Amy who asked about the mile marker...she's training for Boston...~8:06

7: Uphill, then the course flattened out...come on, you should be able to beat these guys, they're twice your age!...At the turnaround realized that Erin was not as far ahead of me as I thought...started to run with Amy again and chat...8:15

8: FLAT, kept talking to Amy...mentally drained...5 more miles?!?!...people who race with iPods on don't deserve to be there...7:54

9: Turned downhill...me: "I suck at hills" Amy: "Did you play soccer?"...Rain picked up and felt great, but the road was slippery...stupid rich people in their BMW's can't follow detours, and they feel entitled to nearly run us over...7:31

10: ANOTHER hill...just about died...Amy: "Christie! Get up here!"...family of ducks attempting to cross the road...8:30

11: Straight downhill...photographer was there so I tried to minimize the Oz look of agony...then the runner's high kicked in...7:00

12: Flat...knew exactly where I was and exactly how much longer I had to go...daunting thought because normally we're just doing a Sunday long run, and pace isn't all that important...realizing I will go under 1:45

13: "Beer on the left! Water on the right!"...the Wall is just another Pink Floyd album, the Wall is just another Pink Floyd album, the Wall is just another Pink Floyd album...too. much. lactic. acid...death by slight incline...8:30

.1: Just get me to the finish. Heard Erin and Brent screaming...I did it!!!!...:52

Total time: 1:42:21, 248th overall, 36th female finisher, 4th 18-24 yr old female

Erin ran in the 1:39s and got 2nd in our division. We put on our medals, dry shirts, and crawled up the hill to the expo for food and results. We decided not to wait around for the awards because we were a bit cold, and so I treated E and B to brunch at the Caf. My legs didn't really function by the end of the day, and my foot is still sore, but the race was FANTASTIC, and I realized that I could totally run a 5k on the track if I really wanted to.

I'm addicted now. La Jolla Half here I come!

1 comment:

L Simpson said...

you rock my socks. i hope to do the pacific shoreline 1/2 next super bowl sunday. i wanted to do it this year, but that knee injury in june killed those chances... seeing as i took 2 full months off and 6 is still my longest post-injury run...

you inspire me! someday, i hope to be your running equal ;) but unless you get worse, it'll take a while to get up to you.
[sings "chariots of fire" theme to self]

again, you rock my socks off. hope i don't get blisters ;)